Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Working it out! Fitness and the Photographer.



So a new year has begun, and all the New years resolutions are made and just about forgotten only 2 weeks into the month! As some of you know my  19th wedding anniversary was on Jan. 1st. What did I get as  a gift -a ready for this - a TREADMILL! Okay, if you know anything about me you would know that working out is about my least favorite thing to do- I think having my teeth repaired ranks above it(Yeah- that bad). It's not like I'm really bad at sports- I think it's safe to say I have natural ability to learn or play a sport-my issue is more with conditioning. I wasn't sure how to take this type of gift- insult or love? I know it's something my husband wanted and I am now sure (after about 2 weeks of consideration) that it was a well intended gift. I know I need it. I think I probably left clues about needing it over the last few months of school. What gave it away? Perhaps the red face and me trying to catch my breath every time I walked up the 3 flights of stairs to the photography school????!!! In all fairness I was toting about 18 lbs of gear and books up the stairs too! ( I did weigh it on my scale, I really thought it was closer to 50 lbs!) Another clue Henry may of received was the longing gazes as I looked through Daryl Benson photography book, Canada, that I got for Christmas. He has all these amazing landscape shots where Daryls camped out beside waterfalls and in wooded areas. This type of photography would require much exertion and I can imagine my 18 lb load and 3 flights of stairs would pale in comparison to hiking up a mountain carrying probably 50 lbs of gear. Dawning in Ebonie's brain- good photography- need for working out! I also had that realization this week as I shot Mandy's still life assignment and ended up in a convoluted position on the floor, my feet up in the air against the wall, in order to shoot some shots of my lucky bamboo from underneath- Some Yoga might also be in order! (Seriously I won't tell you how long it took me to get out of that one!)

With good intensions, I approached the treadmill with a little hesitation-wouldn't you - the front looked like I was on the flight deck of the U.S.S Enterprise!

All those knobs and dials- After about 30 min. I discovered the  O incline, 0 time, and 1 km/hr buttons....

With it's resemblance to sand paper, I think this would hurt if I landed on it- I'd better hold on...


I have one of my instructors to thank for my approach- Some how photographing it 100 different ways, eased me into a comfort zone of actually wanting to step on it and try it out. I think my inspiration will be to maybe be able to, one day, go on a shoot where my new found photography skills and my ever increasing physical abilities will collide in some cosmic whirlwind to create the shoot of my life!-I wonder if Daryl Benson does field trips???

2 comments:

AmandaO said...

Ah, a treadmill. Nothing says "You're my soul mate" quite like a piece of exercise equipment.

I love the close up shots of the treadmill! It looks almost...extraterrestrial!

AO!

Kelly Balkwill said...

hahahah ebonie! I heard of this story before reading this. but the 'sandpaper' comment is so true, imagine getting distracted and flying off??? dont try running backwards on it!!!!