Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dragon Boat Races 2010

I happened to be on Facebook this afternoon and noticed a posting by my cousin Sara, saying she was participating in this years Canadian Cancer Society's Dragon Boat Races on the Red River at the Forks National Historic Site. One of my favorite locations, favorite cousins, beautiful afternoon and a worthy cause, what more did I need to get up out of the chair and out the door!

I had never been to this event before and wondered what I would encounter there. As I arrived I was very surprised to see a galaxy of smiling faces and crowds that surged with excitement. Where I may have expected some sadness, faces etched with hardships and worry, families and individuals facing the stark and cruel realities of cancer in their everyday lives, I only saw smiles, joy, humor, team work, and hope.

I was so impressed by the teams put together by businesses and alike to raise funds for the Cancer Society. The event began with a flower memorial where petals and flowers were tossed into the river and then the racing began. I was a bit mesmerized by the zeal and uniformity of the teams who obviously practiced to coordinate their paddling efforts, but it was truly the faces of the people attending and participating that caught this photographer's eye. This is what I saw....
















Cousin Sara and her team-3rd Place way to go!





No comments: