Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Looking for the Light and Colour at 4 p.m..

"I'm on the way to the grocery store" I yelled down from the kitchen at my son and his friend playing Rock Band in the basement. As I grabbed the grocery list off the counter I noticed through the windows of the back door, a flash of brown walking by the deck. Curious, I moved to the window and found  two Does and a Buck in my back yard. Hummm... I put the grocery list back down on the counter grabbed my camera changing to my telephoto lens. Part my my mind kept saying, they will be long gone-but hey, I had to give it a try. I went out the front door and around the back of the house and let myself out the back gate into the "back bush".  I stood  quietly in the tall grass (at times taller then my head) and stood  waiting, hoping to hear a tell tale rustling that would give me a clue as to their whereabouts. As I stood there in silence I began to think. That Buck had  a good sized rack, he was with Does, maybe this wasn't such a great idea, not to mention all the other scenarios, skunks, foxes, and all the other rodents living in the tall grass where I was standing. Nobody knew I was out there, I was suppose to be GROCERY SHOPPING!!!

 I didn't panic (I surprised myself) -it was way to peaceful standing there in the tall grass listing to the rustling in the small breeze. And as I moved to change my spot I noticed something else. A gleaming, a glitter, tiny spots of light dancing off the tips of the grass as the sun began it's decent in the sky. The tiny shiny specs changed as I moved up or down or to the side. Only in one spot could I see the beautiful glitter. I wondered could I capture this on film? I played with the exposure, stopping down in half stops. It was one of those  photography moments where you actually need to remind yourself to breath. (I know I'm not the only photographer that holds her/his breath when taking the shot hoping for absolute stillness)  Considering I was in tall grass in the back bush with no one knowing where I was- hyperventilating and possibly passing out was not an option. As I photographed, I also noticed how the colours appeared to be on the screen. Whites where coming out as soft blues and the oranges seemed so pronounced. I slowly (about a half and hour later) made my way back to the house and back inside to drop off the camera and reclaim my grocery list. My son came running up the stairs "So what did you Buy??" he said with enthusiasm. 

 "Some quiet time" I replied over my shoulder as I walked out the door to complete the task I had originally set out to do an hour before. Those deer will have to wait for another day..







No comments: