Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Calgary Road Trip part 2: The Zoo

May Long Weekend was looking up by the time we reached Calgary. The weather was still on the cooler side, but nothing like what we had to drive through getting there! Saturday morning we jumped in the car and made our way over to the Calgary Zoo. It was a glorious morning, bright and early, the birds were singing, and I was so ready to take some pics! I remember one of Ross's assignments this year for shoot week was a Safari theme. I never got around to doing that and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity! I found a park bench and had my head in my camera bag putting my telephoto lens on to the camera when I heard a gentlemen's voice say,

" You had better get to work, there is a lot to "Shoot"! 

Something about the "ring" of his voice, that call to action, reminded me of....hummm of a photography teacher or two that I know?

I glanced up only to find a telephoto lens bigger than mine and a kindly looking gentleman behind the lens. 

" I tell all my photography students to get memberships here, it's a great place to come and practice" he continued on.
(What's the odds? I get away from school for a weekend and the first person I meet in Calgary is a photography teacher! GO FIGURE!)

" What type of photography do you do, I asked?"

"I do wildlife and sports"

"Really, I'm here to try some wildlife photography and sports-volleyball- my son's in the nationals this weekend" I heard myself reply...

My husband just sat there shaking his head.. Fate, coincidence, what is it with these photographer types that they find each other anywhere they go???

It was great sharing some tips from him and having a bit of an insider's perspective to the Zoo. He obviously had been there quite a bit!

The  entire experience was great! The Zoo has a lot of great animals and not a lot of bars to try and shoot through. Just thought I'd share a few with you! Enjoy! 
 











No comments: