Friday, May 8, 2009

Say what ?????

Ever had one of those days, you know the kind of day you kind of just walk through, where everything around you seems to be going on some kind of Gaussian blur filter? (like that? It had a little photoshop influence with the Blur bit?) On those days, people's mouths move but you can't hear any words. If you hear something,  somewhere between the words hitting your eardrum, there is a slight moment of disfunction as you brain tries to make sense of what you're hearing but can't quite put "two and two together"?
 My body's way of dealing with those days is to go into overdrive and try to fight the urge to just let things slide. NOOOO my brain says -WAIT lets analyze this, because maybe if we just think about this 2 seconds longer we may just make sense of what we(my ears and I) just heard. You have to just wish the day ends as soon as it begins. I had one of those days this past week . Yep, a real winner!!! 
It didn't start out that bad. My husband asked me to come take some pictures of him for work related items. That would mean going into a factory... This would mean putting on a bright orange hard hat... This is interesting, as I seldom wear bright orange  hardhats....I got out my camera put on my external flash and brought my camera up into the ready position... I went for the view through the view finder....KLANK! What??? I tried again, I raised the camera to my face and...KLANK! Yes, admissibly I did try a third time! In my defense, IT WAS THAT KIND OF DAY! I could, no matter how hard I tried, get my camera to my face without it hitting the visor on the hard hat.
I had to concede that, either I wear the hat and take no pictures or the hat would come off and I would get the pictures done. The latter won out, however, that is not where the story ends. Henry then proceeds to introduce me to a fellow worker in the plant.  He no sooner introduces me and the person says: 

"She looks Like Princess Leah"

Silence...

More silence...

My brain has now gone into it's "2 seconds more" mode.

How does one respond to that? Princess Leah is from the movie Star Wars, I remember, I went to the theater to see it premier, and that was what about 29 years ago????So what does that mean?

 That I look retro????

Do I  have a 70"s kind of look about me???

That maybe my lovely hardhat had pushed two bun type hair clots on either side of my ears???

Maybe he was referring to the fact that I looked like Carrie Fisher?? Great! If it was a direct comparison to the movie, I'll take those glowing cheeks and body any day!
But if it was a direct comparison  to her now, she is definitely older then I, and I believe she's lived quite the hard life! ....GREAT!

I've been mistaken for a few people in my day. I remember one lady approaching me on the Fairy to Victoria and asked if I was The Duchess of York, my Canadian accent assured I was most certainly not.. Another time in my early 20's, an elderly gentlemen asked me if I was Miss Canada as I waited in the mall one day-- --understandably so,---- Oops...I realized after, I was sitting under the sign announcing her visit that day...

But Princess Leah????

I looked at my husband with that perplexed look on my face not quite sure how to respond to that.. a pleading look in my eye..H-e-l-p ...I don't understand..

What I saw was just as much confusion. He however, was quick to add with a awkward laugh:

"Well, hopefully she'll stick around longer than Princess Leah did!"

Silence...

More silence...

Now what does THAT mean????.....HUMMMMM..... How many more hours left in this day???

No comments: