Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fawn memories


Meet Lucky the Fawn. A real life "Bambi".  I guess I should start the tale at the beginning... I travelled out to the Lake on Friday with a couple of friends and their children, to my parents cottage for the day. We heard the most intriguing tale of a rescued fawn. Apparently, The fawn was stuck in the mud of a creek and left abandoned by his mother who couldn't get the baby unstuck. An acquaintance of my mother's found the little guy and pulled him out. He now resides in their barn and is bottle fed, really tame for being in captivity for 3 weeks . He even responds to his name "Lucky", as he was aptly named, (he is lucky to be alive). We just had to see for ourselves this little miracle and really, how many of us actually get to touch or see a fawn up close! So, for the second time within 3 days, I found myself on a farm, camera in hand, children in tow, for what would probably be a once in a life time experience. He was soooooo cute. I must say, however, this was the hardest subject I ever had to photograph. Light was very low, and the pen was really small to be shooting with a 50mm lens ( I was using it because it was my lowest f-stop at 1.8) I ended up trying to use an on camera flash and even that was difficult to stop motion with. Lucky was always moving and usually right for the camera. I think he thought it was a bottle ( The above shot was him getting ready to lick my lens) It was kind of funny, as he had me pinned up against the pen wall, with his face in my camera lens. It was a really great learning lesson on deer for everyone! I don't know what the plans for Lucky are, he is a male and will probably leave the farm at some point. For now he enjoys the farm and has a number of horses to keep him company.


Friends posing with Lucky in his stall.


Saying goodbye to Lucky- I'm sure he won't look the same the next time we see him!

3 comments:

Katy Winterflood said...

Aww lucky is gorgeous!
and your shots of him have come out great :) x

Scott Zielke said...

wow Eb, you are really keeping up on the blog and doing lots of shooting still, something I should really be doing more of.... However I think you need to change your title on the top where it says something about embarking on a 1 year course in photography...... cause ya, thats over now!

Photokat said...

I love that second shot - the first of the black and white ones. What a great pose/expression. Almost like you "teased" him - lol! Katherina