Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Party's over- Or is it?

Red River Ex 09

Okay, it's time to start talking about it, it's been officially one month now since graduation from Prairie View School of Photography.  People have been prompting me to change my header on the blog and talk about the fact that -yes, I did survive school for a year, I did graduate with a diploma in photography and a little about what I'm doing now. My header did state that I was embarking on a one year photography course that could change my life- so has it-how? 
I entered the school last May for the first time. I called the school that morning, to discover that the school was holding an open house that very evening. I knew I liked photography, but my confidence about gadgets and gizmos , math and computers had held me back from pursuing a career in it. My husband, upon hearing the fact there was an open house, literally threw me in the car and drove me down there and walked me in. I think he did all the talking, I was to stunned by the fact that I was actually standing in a photography school- those lights, studios and Macs looked so intimidating- but the people were friendly. 

Next thing I knew I was enrolled in a Saturday course with the school to see if I really did love it, (and could I tolerate an entire year of it). I was hooked. I did have to go to an interview with Ross and hand in a portfolio. Portfolio, Tee Hee Hee,  I had a few shots I had taken on vacation. In the interview all Ross kept saying was "good composition". I left there wondering what the heck that meant! Ross also had left me with a question I needed to answer, after 19 years of being a wife and a mother, spending invested time in someone else, could I actually allow myself the time and energy to attend school, to invest in me. Could I allow myself the change from organized family focus to chaos, abandonment of control over my family's life, what they eat, wear and how clean was the house. 

I'm an "A" type, a "Red" I need control, I like"safe".  Safe is good. "Safe" is expected and satisfying. I left the interview uncommitted. I told Ross I need to take some time to discuss this with my Friends and Family. Would they be willing to make sacrifices along with me. Would they be okay with the change, the unknown, the unexpected, (yes, and McDonalds a little more often in our diet.) I did go back after a week for another interview in which I declared I was ready and had the family and friends support behind me. And so the year kicked off last September and ended on June 18th of this year. 

It wasn't an easy year, it had it's stresses, (Like my husband losing his job of 25 years on my first day of school), dealing with a computer learning curve that seemed impossible, and 12 hour days of school, homework, and then the chores at home on top of it all. It felt like being on a Merry-go-Round that just wouldn't stop.  German's have a great saying- I'll say it in English-"What doesn't kill you , makes you stronger." I think This year has made me a much more resilient, trusting and relaxed individual. 

I realized that if the housework doesn't get done-it's not the end of the world -there will always will be housework. Organization is key to not"losing it",  however "losing it" once in a while is quite expected and can actually feel good when "spewed" out.  My boys have become a lot more independent - cooking and cleaning have now become a normal routine in our home. And most importantly I'm using my brain again- not that I didn't before- just now it's in a more creative and academic way. I have also noticed that the everyday items, and events in life have seemed to take on a whole new meaning -like I'm seeing them for the very first time. Even my sons will drop comments every now and again like "Wow mom, did I ever see a good photo opportunity today..." or " That was a sight to photograph!".  Would I have noticed before how insanely Alien these little green drinking bottles , back lit, standing in the window at the Ex would be? 
Life has returned to a somewhat normal pattern, the house a little tidier, the food a little more nutritious. I realized about 1 1/2 month's before school ended that I really had a passion for learning more about Studio work and lighting. I also knew I wanted to work with people. 
I realized I still needed to learn more after June. That's when I approached Cory at Studio 448 to consider taking me on as his apprentice. Some of you may be giggling/snickering now, if you recall my April 12th blog (See Archives) where I called him an "evil step father ", "dragon", and "white knight" in a photoshop stupor. (Probably not a wise thing to do in hindsight).  I think he had the last laugh though as he had me do photoshop editing the entire first week of "being on the job". I swear I was dreaming Gaussian Blur! I think it may have been a test to see just how serious I was. I kept showing up every morning and it's now been 4 weeks. So far, so good. 
 
I'm learning a lot more about photographic gear, dockets, labels, editing, lighting, etc., than I would have ever dreamed of. Best of all I'm getting to do what I love to do the most, photographing families, individual and children's portraits! Stay tuned for a lot more blogs from some of the shoots.

Red River EX Butterfly house

2 comments:

Katy Winterflood said...

well done ebonie! sounds like post-photography school is going well so far!
i start at PrairieView in September and I cant wait :)
xx

AmandaO said...

You constantly amaze and inspire me and I'm so glad I got the chance to work with you this past year. I can't wait to see what you do next!