Monday, August 17, 2009

Rain, rain go away....

One can only endure rain for so long!!!  What happened to "Sunny Manitoba"????  After the 5th day of the wet stuff, I couldn't take it any longer. After much thought to the fact the family had become couch potatoes in light of the weather, I decided enough is enough. Taking matter's into my hands I announced we were going to spend an adventuresome time at the zoo. After all when was the last time I or any of my other family member's got in tune with their inner most child and played in the rain? So off we went. A couple of questions did enter my mind as we arrived at the zoo- would there be other's just like us? Are we paying to see animals hiding in their dens/ caves and boxes??? We were quite surprised to find we weren't the only souls to protest the lousy weather, and for the most part, we had some great views of the animals who were glad (or curious) to see how many crazy humans were actually visiting them! 
 
We found this big guy roaring away. I think he was hungry, he was salivating at the mouth... could the rain have turned us into soaked, tasty, looking  morsels???

This big guy had a very wet coat but came right to the front of the pen to pose for some pictures. And below the leopard appeared to take advantage of the rain to clean himself. Shooting through bars is always the challenge!




We found these next two characters a little further back in the zoo. We came upon a mother turkey who's chicks  were running for cover underneath mom to get out of the rain. Her body seemed to grow rounder as each chick found a spot beneath. In the second shot, you can just make out their tiny legs. The Zebra above was hiding under his  feeding cover and had to come and check out what all the commotion was about as we giggled over the chicks.


We were never so happy to see the smelly Tropical house! Not only was it rainy but cool as well- a little warmth would be welcomed. We got lucky on that front, however I think the roof may need a little attention-we are talking some serious leaks!!! 
Some beautiful greenery - and this guy I think says it all- WHAT YOU CAME OUT IN THIS WEATHER??!!!

In the tunnel portion of the tropical house I thought I'd get a little creative looking for the available light and seeing how it falls on objects in the tunnel. I found some cool light in an aquarium and some side light on the aztec looking wall.  My 50 mm lens, 1600 ISO  allowed me to capture the available light.
  

We followed up our soggy trip with you guessed it!-Ice cream!! Maybe tomorrow will be a little drier??? Please???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you! Your pictures turned out great, so who cares about a little rain, eh?