Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Speed Boats really should have seat belts for photographers!

From the title your probably thinking the worst (Those of you who know me, and my run of luck with my camera as of late). Sunday, the sun decided to make an appearance from the rain filled days we've been experiencing here in Manitoba. I headed out with my family to the cabin to do a little waterskiing. I love it when my nieces and brother come out too. The more the merrier. Of course, the goal is to attempt to photograph them in action from the back of the boat. I'm always very careful to ensure the camera is covered in some way so the spraying water won't get at it. The only thing I didn't give much thought to this time was myself and my position in the boat. Let's just say I can totally see why individuals go flying out of boats. You would think after spending what seemed like an eternity in high school, attempting to achieve Life guard status, (completing level after level of Life Saving skills, water safety, etc.) I would know better than to 1. Not wear a Life vest in a boat  2. Pay attention and sit properly in the boat seats.
It happened way to fast- I was photographing my brother in action. I was positioned on my knees turned backwards on the seat, elbows on the back of the seat stabilizing the camera. My brother fell, the line went slack, my husband cut the engine quick, and yes, Ebonie became air born backwards, thankfully not landing in the water, but on the not to soft arrangement of water skies in between the driver's seat. I remember as I felt myself "lift off", thinking A. This is sooooo not good B. Keep the camera up!
I landed with a pretty good thud. I have bruises on my hip and elbow as proof. Looking up from my position on my back I remember seeing my nieces worried faces. Good News -I saved the camera from another potential mishap! I'm a little sore, but a lot wiser! Next time I'm in the boat photographing- I'll be the one in the bright orange life vest and the one bracing myself for the unseen!   






1 comment:

Katy Winterflood said...

awesome shots tho ebonie!! despite the trauma of the event :) x