Sunday, August 30, 2009

A "Rocky" weekend

Midweek we had a visitor come to stay with the family for the weekend. Not your usually type of visitor but a very hairy, maybe 2 lb bundle of energy, named Rocky. Our family has never been dog owners, but I grew up always having some type/breed of dog in our home. My parents were into breeding Golden retriever's, so little furry bundles I'm quite fond of. This one, however is not a pup but full grown dog. You would hardly know it at his size. You can't take him for a walk without people stopping and asking you about him.
We agreed to dog sit for the weekend, having a dog for a few days is always a good way to appease the kid's need for an animal in the house and a great compromise with my husband and I and our need for no vet bills, 5:30 a.m. pee breaks, and scheduling around a pet. It must be very stressful for pet owners to entrust their pets to someone for a period of time to get away on holidays. I always question my children when they say come from camp etc. to see what they did while away from home. Dogs don't have that ability to tell their owner's what they've been up to while away from home. So I thought this week I'd do a little photographic commentary on Rocky's days with us.
In the above picture, Rocky is on one of his daily walks around the neighbourhood - we don't get very far,very fast- yep! Every fire hydrant and pole along the way!

Above: Rocky coming back from a walk down the drive way on his way to help with my son's flyer's. Below:Rocky loves the front couch, all curled up in a blanket.

Rocky's feeding station, that food is pretty large! He likes a little peanut butter on it but I did notice he was quite proficient at licking it off and spitting out the food-Hummmm.
Rocky, checking things out in the front window in the morning light.
Below: Rocky on a walk in the woods.
Sunday we took Rocky on a "field trip" to the lake. The excitement- meeting a black bear on the road! Trust me I took my dog sitting responsibility to a whole new level! I was walking with Rocky and my niece and her dog when we happened to look to our left, and saw a black bear staring at us. I looked at my niece and calmly said pick-up the dogs, and walk fast! As soon as we were out of his line of sight we be- lined it back to the cabin! Rocky also got to spend the day in the company of a number of females-a little larger then himself - I think he was partial to Sportie a wire haired Dauchts hound. Below are his new friends, left to right, CoCo from B.C, Sportie and Liebie. We said goodbye to Rocky this morning- amazing how one's heart gets lost to a pet! But on a positive note we know we'll see him again!

1 comment:

Rocky said...

Dear Ebonie,

Thanks again to you and your family for taking Rocky while our family was away for a short vacation. We are so grateful for your generosity. We know Rocky is in good hands, cared for and loved when he is with you. It gives us great peace of mind when we are away, to know that Rocky is safe with you. Hope he's not too much trouble! Two pounds isn't very big, but he has a tendency to be a bit particular. On the other hand, however, he also has a tendency to be the "comedy relief" in our home, as I'm sure he was in yours. We know Rocky loves his "Mommy Ebonie," and looks forward to future visits!

Love from the Loewen family