Friday, October 9, 2009

I'm in Denial! What happened to Fall???!!!

                                       Hummm... Interesting  

It snowed last night. It's October 10th!!!! It's not supposed to snow on October 10th!!! I'm in denial- I missed fall!!! I'm missing Fall! How did it happen that I had to go from capris and sandals to boots and winter coats and gloves-ARGGGG!!! Instead of posting wonderful snowy images today I'm in protest and am sharing some images captured only a couple of weekends ago at Oak Hammock Marsh. I'm keeping my thoughts warm! 

Oak Hammock Marsh is a great place to go in September. It is a wildlife interpretive centre where one learns all about ducks, birds, marsh, etc. It was a beautiful day and the Marsh was quiet with people but alive with other living things like-DRAGONFLIES! My husband and I had to dodge  a lot of them (They were huge) and they seemed to be flying around in pairs-joined together. I guess if spring is for the "birds and the bees" fall must be for the dragonflies!  I finally saw a pair land close to the path and thought I'd snap a few shots. Their colours were amazing! 

A funny thing happened on our walk through the Prairie dog town.  I just finished saying to my husband "where is all the Prairie dogs?" It was too eery-very silent. It was a beautiful warm day-should they not be basking in the sunshine?  I had just finished my sentence when two heads popped out of holes in the distance.
 What happened next surprised my husband and I. The two looked at each other and then took off at top speed running right for us!!!! It took a full moment to process what was happening-a luxury we did not have, judging by the speed at which they were approaching! The absurdity at their actions was baffling to us. Usually "rodents" run the other way - these where running right for us. All the lessons my mother told me about animals carrying rabies came crashing to the front of my mind.  Deductive reasoning told me this was probably not the case -  there were two, not only one, and from what I could see there was no white foaming substance flying from their small jowls in their "flight" towards us. It's amazing what your brain processes in a matter of a fraction of a second!
They arrived at our feet before we even had a chance to turn and flee. (And how absurd would that have looked- My husband and I  running away with two Prairie dogs in pursuit!!!) The one made it up onto my husbands toe before he quickly yanked it back. They looked up at us . We looked down at them.  We then burst out laughing. They were just desperate for a few tasty treats! They posed wonderfully for me and then realizing we had nothing to offer, scampered off to hide in their holes probably waiting for the next unsuspecting  guest and begin the terrorizing process all over again!




I'm feeling a bit  better about the weather now. Seasons come and go. I hope winter goes as fast as Fall did!!!

1 comment:

AmandaO said...

That second prairie dog photo is so freakin' adorable. It makes me want to go up an cuddle the thing!

Also...I think you need to censor those naughty dragonfly photos! Haha...dragonfly nookie on your blog, Ebonie? ;)