Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Churches of Manitoba Take2


Evangelical Lutheran Church of Selkirk, MB.  I happened upon this quaint church in a snow storm. I thought it reminded me of a church from a miniature Christmas Village set. Even the wreaths on the doors are so inviting.

Holiday greetings again! This has been the most interesting holiday yet! The past 2 weeks have been a blur of short trips out and about in Manitoba searching for that church with some character. Some of you enjoyed the first batch of church posting I did a few weeks back and I thought I post some of the ones I've shot in the last week and a half. The churches were the subject of my self assigned Digital techniques shoot week assignment. The goal was to create a small stock pile of church and church related images consisting of landscape/ architectural features. The idea being as with other photo stock piles such as www.fotosearch.com/photo's-images/church.html(This was my bench mark) that the images could potentially be used in various ways such as magazine photo's, advertising, brochure, and personal use. It was a fun assignment and I never knew Manitoba was so rich in historical churches. I only got around to shooting 9 churches in 2 1/2 weeks and I think it would be interesting to keep going -photographing at different times of the day and seasonal changes as well. It was also a neat way to spend time with the family doing the road trips and seeing a little more of what our province has to offer! hope you enjoy!

    St. Peter's Old Stone Church, East Selkirk, MB. Front split view

Saint Boniface cathedral. Night, Arch view.

  Saint Boniface Cathedral, side view (kind of reminds me of pyramid/ancient ruins lit up at night)


St. Peter's Old Stone Church, East Selkirk, MB. Above: graveyard/back view
Below:  Red River view

Below:Cooks Creek Church, MB., High Key Angel 
I was a little disappointed when I went out to the church as it had a high metal fence around it that was locked I had to shoot through the fence for all these shots.


Cooks Creek , Heralding Angels

Cooks Creek church:Above: Tower
                                     Below:  Front door to the church

N.K. Mennonite Brethren Church, Wpg, MB. Steeple backlit
 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

it's been fascinating seeing your images. It reminds me of a man I met a few years back who was photographing all the red barns in Manitoba. He had been doing it for years and he had quite the collection.

AmandaO said...

OH Ebonie, Ebonie, Ebonie.

MORE great shots! It's like, you know just what to do to bring out the "personality" of each church. It's like you photographed each in such different conditions, but it seems to be the exact right fit for each shot. Wonderful!

Seriously beautiful stuff! This would be a cool idea for your final CI project. EH? EH???????

Lawrence said...

These shots would make beautiful Christmas cards! Ellie

Carolyn said...

Hi! Can you call me to see about taking shots of my colleagues like we talked about? You have great photos...I'd love it if your work could be on my website! I don't have your email address.