Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Confessions of a photoholic

Yesterday evening, I left school only to discover as I walked in the door at home that my youngest son had gone off to participate in a volleyball tournament in St Vital( That's like an hour's drive away from our house- okay, I'm exaggerating -It just feels like that when you're  tired.) My oldest son announces that we are to deliver supper to my son at the school at 5:30( It is now 5:35 and I'm standing in my front foyer wondering if I've just become Supergirl and can fly to the school within a split second- no wait I'd have to fly backwards around the earth to bring time back to 5 min. earlier( You had to have seen the Christopher Reeves Superman movie to know what I'm talking about). Giving my head a shake I put everything in perspective and realized my child is not going to waste away if his supper is half an hour late.

Cullen asks casually, 

"Mom, if we are going that way do you think we could go by the music store - I'd really like to pick-up the Bass guitar I've been saving for."
(I've got to give the kid credit, he's been saving for an entire year to make this purchase. How could I say no. So off we went- Rescuers  of the starving volleyball brother and supporters of the economy!)

We arrived at the store and I had my camera gear with me (to take volleyball pics) and just naturally-as it were - a second breath , put my gear on my back and went in.  My son's eyes where ripe with enthusiasm and I caught my reflection in a mirror and thought "what's that gleam in my eye? Could it be a dawning of recognition of opportunity? " I'm sick- I'm sure of it -I think it's called photography-itus , or else- I am a true photoholic. There I've said it, I can confess as to what happened in the next 15 min. My son made his purchase and as he did my eyes wandered over the colorful array of guitars on display. OHHHH!!! And they were in such wonderful lines!!!! and I could go on- My son was beginning to realize the signs( The dilated pupils, fast talking, etc) -yes, his mother was about to do something to embarrass him!

As he finagled the final bargaining , I had to state my conditions of the sale as well,

"I need to photograph your guitars"- Yes I said it!

" Uh that's okay, just come back anytime "

"No you don't understand -I mean now- I have my camera with me"(I'm sure my voice had a high strung pitch to it)

Yes, there was a very surprised look on his face - what mature women carries a photography bag stuffed with gear into a music store as it where a purse???

And then he said the words " Go ahead!"

As my son slunk away to the van, I had  a blast photographing in the store, thank goodness I had my external flash with me! 

Oh Ya, my son- I soon realized - I'd better slip back into Mom mode and give up the photo session.

 I don't know when I became infected with the photo bug. When does casual holiday picture taking suddenly become almost a daily obsession??? It must have happened some time during the school year , I'm thinking Christmas. Anyone (You know if you are, symptoms sound familiar?) have some advice how to live with it, deal with it, and work with it? Will it lessen over time?

Anyways, the pics came in handy for a Digital techniques assignment with having to change an image in Lightroom using  sliders, colour filters, and the paint brush. Enjoy the images! Don't worry about Cullen, he's use to his mom embarrassing him and I think the purchase helped to ease the embarrassment!



Below: the "Before"

Below: The "After"

Below: the "Before"

Below: the "After"

3 comments:

Candace Dunsire said...

fantastic! you should submit one for the art show

Carly Alexandra Stevenson said...

love these Ebonie! I think you should submit one for the art show as well!

Dog Willing said...

LOVE the shots!!!

Although, I could use more cowbell.