Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Easter! Investigating Chicks!

Happy Easter! I was trying to figure out a creative way of sharing an Easter greeting with friends family and clients. I began to dwell on the commercial aspect of Easter and a number of questions began to arise in my mind. How did we as a society come to associate Easter with Bunnies, coloured eggs and fluffy yellow chicks?
Maybe it's the mom in me, or my experience with children 2-4 knowing the most asked question is WHY! So I set off to do a journalistic/photographic investigation at least one of the most recognized Easter Icons-The Fluffy Yellow Chick!
I spared no expense and covered lots of ground-literally, traveling to a rural area of Manitoba to get some answers! Think of this Blog as the "Cheep" version of the Discovery channel!(HA HA I had to throw one pun in there somewhere!) Feel free to pass on the "tidbits" of information in the next few paragraphs at you next social gathering, cocktail party, or as your driving your kids to school. All information was new to me!

Let me just say right off the "hop" (something chicks do a lot of!) NO CHICKS WERE HARMED DURING THIS INVESTIGATION. (Only well loved and taken care of, and trust me these little girls have a way of growing on you.)


The "Chix" seen here are from the Bovan strain of Leghorn laying eggs hens ( Don't worry -I couldn't have photographed them knowing perhaps they would end up being dinner one day!) "Bringing it close to home" they are one of 5 types/strains of hens available in Manitoba. They only remain fluffy yellow for a very short while and begin producing white feathers within a few days and by two weeks no longer have their "Downy feel". They need high temperatures of around 33C after they hatch and bright light 24 hours a day. They are fed a high protein diet of oats, corn, and wheat with vitamins and minerals. They are also vaccinated at hatching against common diseases like bronchitis. By age 15 weeks, the hours of light are eventually diminished to 12 and the temperature to 23C. They are called chicks till 12 weeks and then become known as Pullets.



Ever heard the saying "pecking order"? Chickens have a need to peck, so at birth these types of chicks have their beaks trimmed to help protect weaker birds from the others. Pullets begin to lay eggs at around 19 weeks of age. Each Hen can have the potential to lay one egg a day. Think about that next time you order that "Big Breakfast" with three eggs-It took a Hen power of 3 to feed you!


I say potential, because Hens are really quite "Finicky". They need to have just the right amount of food, water, room to roam and light and darkness to produce. If any one of these factors change, they will stop laying eggs. They are definately social but prefer smaller groups. Most birds lay good eggs till around 14 months when the eggs become more fragile in nature.



My son had an opportunity to interact with the chicks. He discovered they quite enjoyed a good back rub and considering their one day old status, had no fear of him and showed a bit of curiosity. Infact after feeding the birds, we found they tend to "flock" towards or follow you!

Hope I was able to enlighten you a little with information on these fluffy little Easter Icons. Now if you know the answer to the question "Why is it the Easter Bunny that hides the eggs? ( Should it not be a Chicken?) Let me know! -I've done my share of research for a while! Have a great Holiday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.